In 2005, I returned to the neighborhood where I grew up to attend the University of Chicago Law School. After graduating, I worked in commercial litigation for about 12 years, first at a big Chicago-based international law firm and then at a midsize firm, representing clients in business disputes. I enjoyed my colleagues and client relationships, but I felt the greatest satisfaction and drive while working on my pro bono cases, which ranged from criminal appeals to prisoner lawsuits to immigration hearings. As I advanced at my firm, the need to shift my practice to civil rights came into focus.
In March 2017, I left my job as a litigation partner to become pro bono counsel at the law firm where I started my career. As pro bono counsel, I worked with teams to represent prisoners and arrestees whose constitutional rights were violated during imprisonment or arrest. Devoting my work full-time to issues that touch on social justice and equity was incredibly gratifying.
The following year, I joined Loevy & Loevy, where I had the privilege to practice with exceptionally talented and passionate civil rights lawyers. There, my work focused on civil cases arising from wrongful arrests and convictions.
I joined Tom in founding Civil Rights Group to build on my career serving clients whose fundamental rights and liberties are at stake, but who cannot protect themselves without lawyers. I find this work both challenging and rewarding, particularly because it’s often an uphill battle to convince our opponents, judges, and jurors to see the firm’s clients as we do: individuals deserving of respect and humanity, whose rights were violated. Succeeding in that challenge has brought me the greatest professional satisfaction in my career.
In addition to civil rights, I am passionate about civil legal aid. I served on the Ambassadors Board of Legal Aid Chicago (formerly LAF) from 2009 to 2019, including as co-chair of the board’s executive committee for the 2016-2017 term. In 2020, I was elected to Legal Aid’s governing board.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
University of Chicago Law School
- J.D. (with honors)
University of Pennsylvania
- B.A. (cum laude)
- Associate, Loevy & Loevy
- Pro Bono Counsel, Sidley Austin LLP
- Partner, Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP
- Associate, Sidley Austin LLP